Saturday, July 5, 2014

Independence Day

Happy Independence Day to all! Earlier this week we had talked about going camping to celebrate the holiday and the completion of Will's 220 page(!) thesis, but we abandoned that idea when we read the weather forecast for July 4th: rain, rain, rain.

So, instead we stayed home, cozied up against the rain. We watched the fireworks on the 3rd. It was the first time in Boston's history that they chose to move the fireworks and concert from the 4th, but it ended up being a good call. They barely missed the storm. Within five minutes of the firework finale,  lightening and rain rolled in from the west, drenching everyone trying to get home.

On the 4th, we slept in and then had waffles with whipped cream and berries for breakfast. I knitted while Will read about rye sourdough starters and then we drove to the store to pick up some rye flour (this may be the beginning of a new hobby for Will), picking up our CSA share along the way. It had been raining so much there were large puddles blocking the entrance to Clover (our CSA pick-up site). I had to take a running leap from the road with my umbrella in-hand to reach the sidewalk, startling all the tourists watching from inside Clover. And then we had a simple dinner and watched a movie. We did go on a nice bike ride and do some grilling today, but overall this holiday weekend has been a quiet affair. It's very different from the July 4th celebrations of my childhood, which were filled with small town parades, sunburns, extended family dinners, and watching fireworks from Melba's football field (I still believe Melba has the best firework display in the nation). But I loved it nonetheless. It was the first time I can remember Will being home for an entire holiday since our marriage, other than holidays where we travel to see family. I loved just hanging out with him. And I found myself reflecting on how grateful I am that I can sit peacefully at home with family, with good food and clean water. Thank goodness for these blessings.

Chicken scratch on a paper towel, while writing The Thesis

This is the face of a PhD student, 5 weeks into writing The Thesis

Another recent project - a baby quilt for Will's labmate and our good friend. I really like how it turned out!

CSA share = So much produce! The plants are taking over our fridge.

A young rye sourdough starter. Here's hoping Will takes up a (delicious) new hobby.



2 comments:

  1. I'm a little jealous of your CSA. Ours is good, but we have a much higher percentage of greens. Maybe I'll look into a different one next year. I especially like the fact that you get eggs and what appears to be berries. Plus, I only know how to do 1 or 2 things with collard greens and swiss chard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be that your growing season is a little cooler than ours so the other vegetables are still ripening? At least, we had tons and tons of greens at the beginning of the summer before it started to even out a bit. Or maybe your farm did in fact fail to plant a good variety of stuff, in which case- yeah, you may want to look for a different one next year. It's nice to not just eat salad and sauteed greens all the time.

    Those are indeed berries and eggs! Our CSA has several types of shares: vegetable, fruit, egg, flowers and (I think) bread. We got the first three, so we pick up fruit and eggs with the vegetable share.

    ReplyDelete