Friday, June 14, 2013

Uprooted

Today was already a good day. Work was fairly good, my walk home was pretty, the rain went away and was replaced by some early evening sunshine, and we're grilling tonight. Sidenote: Grilling is my favorite. Delicious food with minimal prep and cleanup (because Will takes care of nearly everything). The gas grill was a fantastic invention.

Anyway, as I was saying, today was a good day and then it became even better because as I arrived home, my neighbor (a sweet older woman who only speaks Portuguese) said something to me. Since it was in Portuguese, I didn't know what she was saying but then her daughter interpreted for me: "Would I like some flowers?" I was a little confused, but of course happy too (who doesn't want flowers?). "Sure!" So my neighbor just reached down and ripped some plants out of the pots they were growing in, roots intact, and put them in a plastic bag so I could replant them. I am actually quite tickled about this, but I have no idea what kind of plants they are. Can anyone reading this identify these plants?

I think my neighbor said the top one would get blossoms. The lower one almost reminds me of some sort of cabbage because the leaves are quite firm; my sister said it might be sedum. Regardless of what they actually are, I am excited to add them to our garden. Yes, we have a garden. Climbing up our steps



and onto our balcony.


 Soon (as in tonight, hopefully) we will hang more plants from the balcony. Mystery ones, as well as another tomato plant and some flowers. I am so excited!! We had a garden last year too but it was a failure because our pots were all too small. I bought bigger pots/planters this year and hope it works out. Also, I hope our garden doesn't attract rats because if it does, I think our landlady might kick us out. She likes us but sure does hate rats with all the passion in her 5'2 soul. Fingers crossed that there are no rats, the pots are big enough, the squash is an itty-bitty squash, the sweet peppers grow and that our uprooted mystery plants take root and are beautiful/edible. If nothing else, they'll be a reminder of the generosity of our neighbor and I think that knowledge alone will  provide its own kind of beauty and nourishment.







 -->

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures! What a fun garden. No idea what your neighbor gave you. It will be fun to see how they grow and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! We are enjoying it and some of the uprooted plants seem to already be propagating so that's probably a good sign. :)

      Delete
  2. I love having a garden! There are few things better than being able to just reach outside and use the fresh ingredients you grew. You're more adventurous than I am, I'm curious to see how all of your veggies turn out. Maybe you will inspire me for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Megan. We harvested some greens last night for a salad, which was great. I am hoping the rest of the plants work out!

      Delete